Monday, April 04, 2011

Operation Airlift Japan

Well, things are winding down to an end with our collection efforts for Operation Airlift Japan. Can I just say how astounded I am at the generosity of people?!? I know I've said it over and over, but I am so happy and so, so so grateful at the around 30 or so people that managed to pretty much fill up half the store with donations. 

I went in yesterday, on a Sunday and we sifted through all the bags dividing them up as best as we could.  Big garbage bags full of blankets, gloves, underwear, socks... then even down to smaller bags of hair clips, toothpaste, diapers, art supplies and soaps.  We wanted our things to be easy to find, easy to distribute and clearly marked. Had we just taken things to them on the various bags there would be so much figuring out what was in each bag it would have been a long process (it was for us) so I wanted it to be easier to get to what they needed the most.

Anyway, we made a big run to the Mercedes dealership in Lynnwood, a main drop off location around 2:00 yesterday. We filled up a large truck (Katy's husband's truck), my car and Carrie's car.  When I returned to the shop there was another large grouping of donations, so I will make another run this morning.

I will post photos later, but here is one from Friday night to give you a small idea of where we started from  A bunch more came in Saturday so this isn't even all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment